11.15.2010

my favorite novels

  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
  • To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
  • The Awakening by Kate Chopin
  • The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
  • Rebecca by Daphne De Maurier
  • The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
  • The Great Gatsby by Scott F. Fitzgerald
  • Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
  • As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
  • 1984 by George Orwell
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  • And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
  • Agnes Grey Anne Bronte
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • There and Back Again: A Hobbit's Tale by J.R.R. Tolkien
I love it when I am reading a book and think to myself "THIS is one of the best novels I've ever read." This happened most recently with To the Lighthouse (highly recommend it). Any favorite novels you'd like to recommend?

6 comments:

  1. I need to make a list like that. :o) You've got some good ones on here. I think "Gatsby," "Mockingbird," "The Awakening," and also most definitely "Jane Eyre" would make my list. I didn't realize you were a Tolkien fan. :o) I think "The Hobbit" is so much better than the subsequent novels! "The Fellowship of the Ring" was all right, but the last two were just awful (for me). Have you read "Mary Anne" by Daphne Du Marier? I've been meaning to read it - I've got it on my bookshelf - but it's just one of those things I can't get around to doing...sigh. By the way, I now officially prefer Anne to Charlotte, where Brontë sisters are concerned. I know...terrible of me! I do love "Jane Eyre" but I just love "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" and "Agnes Grey" SO much. I can't even believe she's the least popular of all the sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not one of those die-hard fans, but I have read him--The Hobbit was my favorite too, I thought it was a much more succinct version of the trilogy!

    I debated on putting one of Anne's novels on there but then decided i needed to pick just two or three victorian novels and not overrun the list with them lol and I haven't read "Mary Anne" but I would like to, I really love Du Marier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops and i just realized "Macbeth" is technically a play! I'll switch it out for "Agnes Grey" then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison is so good. I also really like David Copperfield by Dickens, and My Antonia by Willa Cather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard a lot about "My Antonia," I need to put that on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love Macbeth. I totally didn't notice that it was masquerading as a novel ;) It's my favorite of Shakespeare's plays too...bleh to Romeo and Juliet!

    ReplyDelete